Reaching out (help and support)

As this week’s wellness Wednesday; run by Ellis focused on reaching out for help, I would like to follow on from this and provide you with information on where to go for help and support. Since your induction (newbies) you have probably had lots of information thrown at you. Below I will provide you with a number of services within University and locally which will hopefully come in useful throughout your three years if you find yourself in need of a little help and support.

Academic support

Personal supervisor  (AKA academic support tutor) – you will have all been assigned to a PS (by group number) who will be with you for the next three years (or until they leave which you will be informed of a new one) they are your first point of call for general issues and support. Whether that be, you are finding it hard settling in, or you are having problems at home, your PS will discuss your worries.

Module leader – the module leader is the one who runs the whole module and can be contacted if you have a query about the content, however, during each new module you will be assigned an academic supervisor who will be the one you go to for guidance on your essay / presentation etc, they will be responsible for marking your work once submitted. Remember each AS (academic supervisor) have their own expectations so it is important to clarify what they want you to do within your work.

Academic Supervisor (module supervisor) – This is the person who you go to in relation to support for your module work (this may change for every new module you are undertaking, this will usually be confirmed as soon as the module is released). It is important that you take this opportunity to ask questions and get clarification on anything you are unsure of, for you to successfully pass the module. My advice is submit a draft and ask a lot of questions this will ensure you are understanding the learning outcomes and are on the right track. 

Study skills team – These are the go-to people if you find yourself struggling with academic work such as referencing, essay writing etc. You can either book a 1 to 1 or attend online workshops as well as access online content to help you with your work.

Practice (placement) support

Practice Link Facilitator – Every time you are allocated a placement you will be informed of your PLF for that particular area. These will act as your in-between whilst out on placement. They liaise with placement and university on a continuous basis and ensure that your placement is suitable for the year of training and learning needs. The PLF are the first point of contact whilst you are out on placement if you have any concerns.

Assessor / Supervisor – From September 2019 the assessor and supervisor role were introduced (previously known as mentor). Your assessor is the one who assesses you throughout your placement as well as at the end where they decide if you are competent to progress onto the next placement. Whereas your supervisor is anyone who is a registered profession who you are able to work with on shift. If you have any concerns or need support whilst out on practice you can approach them, however, if you are unable to approach them for whatever reason, then contact your PLF.

Academic assessor – Each year whilst on practice you will have an academic assessor, their role is to support you with ensuring your pebble pad is done in time for marking (a system that you will soon be acquainted with before you go out on practice) as well as marking any reflections you do in relation to placement. If you have any issues with getting competencies signed off, then reach out to your academic assessor and get advice on how best to achieve these. 

Student support services – At the university, the student support services offer a variety of services, take a look here for a run down of some of the services they provide to students such as mental health, financial help and much more.

Peers – During the course you will no doubt come across a time where you may feel like you are struggling or simply feel overwhelmed with the workload. However, having peer support can be just what you need. Like you they too may find themselves in a hard place, however having one another to pick each other up can be a huge support.

Student Union – The student union can help with: student finance issues, funding, academic issues, housing, employment issues…to name just a few.

Hull Nursing Society – we are a committee consisting of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year students, we are here to listen and sign post you to the relevant services.

RCN / Unison – Being a part of a union can be beneficial as a student and even once qualified. Being a member of a union can give you peace of mind should you ever find yourself in a situation that may require advice. The union can provide support and can represent you should you ever need it. If you are not already a member, have a look at their website and consider joining up to either one (or both) RCN or Unison.

Occupational Health – By now you may have already met the occupational health team or at least heard of them from when you first registered to join the nursing course. Occupational Health are there to support you with any health concerns and will also ensure you are up-to date on any vaccinations such as Hepatitis B that are required before commencing your placements.

However, not everyone will want to use these services that the university has to offer and that is ok. If you would rather prefer advice and support away from University, then see below for a few local services:

GP – If you are registered with a local GP then you can contact them for support. They can deal with a range of medical concerns and can assess you and refer you if they feel it is necessary.

Let’s talk – Did you know you can self-refer rather than going through your GP? You can either call them on 01482 247111 or go to and fill out their questionnaire. Someone then calls you back to discuss and decide which route is best for you depending on your required needs – such as counselling, CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), Stress management course etc

Citizens Advice (Hull and East Riding) – Citizens advice are an independent registered charity who offer free, confidential, and impartial advice on a range of services such as financial, housing, and family, within the Hull and East Riding area. You can access this service by calling 03444 111 444 or by visiting their website.

Hull Samaritans – Hull Samaritans offer emotional support to anyone who finds themselves in a crisis. They are available 24 hours a day by telephone 01482 323456 or you can access their website for information.

If you ever find yourself struggling, remember never suffer in silence and reach out to any of the above services. This course can be hard and life can get in the way but it is important to look after yourself.

We are all in this together and you are not alone

Hull Nursing Society

Mandi xx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s